by Eileen Goltz, Kosher Food Writer, Lecturer and Author, Perfectly Pareve Cookbook
Start with this simple, basic applesauce recipe and use any of the variations. All are delicious!
Wash, pare, and core 8 cooking apples. Add about 1/2 water and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook in covered pot until soft. Add about 1/2 cup sugar while hot. Simmer just long enough to melt sugar. Amount of sugar and water varies with sweetness and juiciness of apples.
For additional flavor, add with sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, grated lemon rind or juice, or a combination of spices.
• Honey Applesauce: In master recipe, substitute 1/2 cup honey for sugar. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind.
• Minted Applesauce: In master recipe, add 1/4 cup chopped mint with sugar.
• Orange Applesauce: In master recipe, add 2 to 3 teaspoons grated orange rind with sugar.
• Rosy Cinnamon Applesauce: In master recipe, cook 1/3 cup red cinnamon candies with apples.
• Spiced Applesauce: In mater recipe, substitute 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar for granulated sugar. Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Recipes: Side Dishes, Applesauce, Parve,Kosher