Buy Israel Week
Win 2 Free Tickets to Israel from our Friends at JDeal.com.
Jdeal.com, the largest daily deal site targeting the Jewish market, is holding a Buy Israel week November 28th–December 4th. In honor of this upcoming event, EL AL Airlines is sponsoring a give–away for 2 free tickets to Israel through November 23rd at 4 PM.
To qualify, go to the www.buyisraelweek.com/contest web site, enter your email address, you’re referring organization (KosherEye) and like both the Buy Israel Week and the EL AL Facebook pages. The winner will be announced on these two Facebook pages at 4:30PM ET on November 23.
Good luck! Shalom to the lucky winner!
Help Fight Hunger
KosherEye supports MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger. We challenge our readers to make a donation to this worthy organization. To start the challenge, KosherEye is donating $180. To accept our challenge, please click through on the Mazon graphic and make a donation.
Kosherfest, the world's largest kosher–certified products trade event was held last week at New Jersey’s Meadowlands. The exhibit hall was bursting with tasters, testers, and lookers on every aisle. The crowds, and they were substantial, enjoyed noshing their way through the exhibits. According to Bill Springer, Kosherfest co-producer, “This year’s Kosherfest was sold out with a waiting list. It is a good sign … that the kosher symbol is becoming more important to consumers than ever before, and that buyers are eager to see and taste new kosher products and learn about trends in the marketplace.”
Some Buzz from Kosherfest:
- Tofutti – How busy this exhibit was with a freezer full of parve milk-free frozen snacks. We tried to get a taste of Yours Truly, a parve cone, but alas, too crowded.
- The Simply Bar High protein nutrition bars – both milk and gluten free. Seven varieties.
- No. 209 – The only kosher for Passover gin in the world. We’ll be tasting this one, and developing some kosher for Passover recipes.
- And speaking of drinks – Moses Vodka and their new Date Vodka From Finland - gorgeous bottles, ultra premium vodka, both kosher and kosher for Passover. We tasted it and loved it - very smooth and a favorite.
- Jacks Gourmet Sausage – We've written about this product previously, and were delighted to see them so successful at Kosherfest.
- Manischewitz – Wow! A vending machine with hot food. Hope that they place this all around the U.S.
- Zelda’s- Their Passover chocolate frogs are now classic. But, wait until you see and taste their newest creature- Kosher for Passover locusts. We also enjoyed their moist, delicious parve everyday cakes especially the caramel apple and lemon flavors.
- Michel Cluizel Chocolate – from Paris. The line is beautifully packaged and OU parve.
- The Kosher Cook – Silicone challah mold. This one is for the challah baker who wants to avoid the shaping step. Can’t wait to try it.
- Fruit of the Land – Tishbi Passion Fruit and Strawberry Champagne Preserves.
- Schmerling – Rich deep dark chocolate with hazelnuts- irresistible! Parve! Passover!
- Mikee’s introducing their new mango duck sauce.
We will be tasting, testing, and reporting on these and other Kosherfest finds in detail over the next few months. There was so much more - crepes, artisan breads, flavored sausages, Asian specialties, frozen ready-to-eat meals, pastries, ice cream, Greek yogurt, and organic juices. And there were the classics like Koppers, Gus’ Pickles, Paskesz, Alprose, Streits, and Osem. We will be reviewing, featuring, and sampling additional Kosherfest products in the coming weeks and months. We just couldn’t taste it all!
KosherEye also had the pleasure of coordinating a pre-Kosherfest Social Media dinner event at Solo Restaurant in Manhattan. Twenty-six members of the kosher media gathered to eat, tweet and meet. The conversation was lively, and the menu exceptional. We will be sharing the mouthwatering menu, and hopefully some recipes!
The attendees also had the pleasure of tasting Champagne Drappier, introduced and imported by Royal Wine. These are the first authentic French kosher cuvees to come to the U.S. They were fabulous!
We enjoyed attending an author-blogger event at the show. Moderated by Esti Berkowitz of PrimeTimeParenting.com, and Leah Schapira of CookKosher.com, the chef-author panel featured Levana Kirschenbaum, Jeff Nathan, Paula Shoyer, Jamie Geller, Gil Marks, and Susie Fishbein. The authors discussed growth and trends in kosher food. Some issues shared were the need for healthier ingredients and less sodium in kosher products.
The Winners of the David Elliot Kosher Turkeys are:
We have winners – 10 of them! Congratulations to the following people who were randomly selected. And what are they thankful for?
- Amy Goldkin: "For all my music students who show me everyday their love for music."
- Aura Haft: "My husband has a job."
- Chayala Davis: "For waking up each morning..."
- Cindy Steele: "For my job."
- Eunsil Go: "For my family. The greatest gift from G-d!"
- Latonya Ramsey: "For my daughter Katelyn."
- Naomi Silbermintz: "For Thanksgiving. A time when all Americans get together to count our blessings."
- Sharon Schmidt: "For my two (grown) wonderful children...".
- Sherry Taxman: "I am thankful for health, happiness, family & friends."
- Shimon Ghertner: "To move from the cold to sunny California..."
Thank you to everyone who entered – some really great entries! And what are we, KosherEye, thankful for? That is so easy – we are thankful for you, our wonderful readers!
The Winners of The Brisket Book Cookbook are:
Pam Bluth & Ruby Grossblatt! And what would they name our handsome steer with the gorgeous eye? Ruby submitted Mesmereye & Pam submitted Stew.
The winning entries were selected by Stepahine Pierson, author of The Brisket Book. "I LOVE these!!! You have the best fans/readers.They're all terrific and made me laugh on a rainy day! Thanks so much and all best, Stevie"
Congratulations! Thank you to everyone who entered – some really great entries! We agree with Stephanie, we do have the best fans/readers!
Kosherfest Award Winners
Kosherfest 2011 has announced the winners of the Best New Product Competition – Congratulations to the winners!
Best Overall New Product
Tishbi Passion Fruit and Strawberry Champagne Preserves
Best New Beverage
Sparkling Ayala's Herbal Water
Best New Bread, Grain, Cereal, or Cracker
Sliced Artisan Slider Rolls
Best New Candy
Rabbi Mints Classic Kosher Mints
Best New Desserts/Baked Goods or Sweets
Mango Gourmet Italian Ice
Best New Dips, Spreads, Salsas
Best New Frozen Entrée
Ta'amti Meat Flavor MEATLESS Bourekas
Best New Giftware or Novelty Item
The Royal Challah™ Silicone Bakeware Pan
Best New Jam or Preserve
Tishbi Passion Fruit Champagne Preserve
Best New "Kosher for Passover" Product
MIKEE Mango Duck Sauce
Best New Meat/Seafood/Poultry Item
Jamaican Style Jerk Chicken Sausage
Best New Pasta, Rice, Beans or Soup
Gezunt Gourmet Pastas
Best New Savory & Salty Snack Food
Bamba Halva - Peanut Snack with Sesame Cream Filling
Best New Savory Condiment, Spice, Sauce, Oil, Vinegar, Dressing or Marinade
Fresh Frozen Pesto cubes
Best New Wine, Beer or Spirit
Fincas Marumatok Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec
"Food Stamp Challenge"
Rabbi David Saperstein, Director of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism, and other members of the RAC staff, are embarking on a "Food Stamp Challenge”, an initiative to focus people of faith on issues of economic justice. The Food Stamp Challenge participants live for seven days on the standard weekly food stamp allotment of $31.50. Click here to read the entire article.
A Classic – Tuna Casserole
Need a simple, hot, nutritious meal for those busy days when you have little or no time? We love this recipe for Tuna Casserole. It is an easy to prepare, one dish meal combining protein, vegetables and dairy. The ingredients can be combined, refrigerated and baked later in the day. This recipe may be old but it is still very popular and we have brought it up a notch. Try it – you will love it!
Mingle with Melt!
Party for You & 10 Friends!
Win a party for you and 10 friends with a $500 Mingle With Melt VISA gift card! One reader and the blog that that reader came from (that would be KosherEye), will both win a foodie night IN with friends and use the gift card to buy cooking supplies, food, decor, or whatever you’d like for your party! Three packages of Melt will be included too.
Winner's party photos and original recipes featuring Melt on will be posted on Melt Facebook page and website! The Mingle With Melt contest lasts through October 31st.
Rich and creamy Melt is a dairy, OU kosher certified butter alternative made of virgin coconut oil, flax seed oil, palm fruit oil and canola oil. “It provides the good fats your body needs when you take out other fats in your diet. Melt cooks, tops and bakes just like butter, with good-for-you ingredients.”
So, Drizzle, Sauté, Spread and Enter to Win: MeltButterySpread.com. Read all about Melt buttery spread.
From Bitayavon Magazine's Fall/Yom Tov Issue, this fabulous Fresh Pear and Goat Cheese Salad recipe by KosherEye – that's us! It is full of yummy ingredients: fresh pears, goat cheese, fresh spinach, toasted pecans, sweet/sour beets ...so good!
Click here to subscribe to Bitayavon Magazine