Kitchen Secrets & TipsAdd a comment
A Twist on the TraditionalAdd a comment
Agur Kosher Winery, Israel
Wine expert Daniel Rogov suggested that we sample the wines of Agur, a small and growing boutique winery located on Moshav Agur in Israel’s Judean Hills. We recently tasted Agur’s 2008 Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon,. Our report – a wonderful wine--smooth, full bodied and a perfect accompaniment to our beef rib dinner.
Rogov’s much more eloquent and detailed description of this outstanding wine:
Dark royal purple toward garnet, full bodied blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, firm and concentrated, with still-gripping tannins and smoky wood, settling in nicely now to reveal an array of cassis, blackberry and raspberry… on a background of spices and earthy minerals. Ready to drink – score 88-90
Agur wines are available worldwide and just gaining distribution in the U.S.
To purchase Rogov's Guides to Israeli & World Kosher Wines 2011.Add a comment
The Buzz on the 2011 sofi Awards and KosherEye
The sofi Awards from the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade (NASFT) are the highest honor in the specialty food industry. They recognize the outstanding culinary achievement, foods and beverages of the year that demonstrate top quality, taste and overall appeal. A record 1,657 entries were submitted across 31 awards categories this year.
Congratulations to these KosherEye featured companies which have been named sofi award silver finalists.
• Savannah Bee Company: Tupelo honey flute (A Honey of a New Year!)
• Paper Chef: Parchment cooking bags (Save Time, Save Money)
• Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Inc: Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste (Nielsen-Massey Vanillas)
• The Run-a-Ton Group, Inc., Wholly Wholesome: Traditional 6-inch Pie Shells (Wholly Wholesome... Wholliciously Wonderful!)
Last Minute Mother’s Day Gift Suggestions
Kosher, Delicious, Delivered & Available for Mother's Day Gifting
• Enstrom, Buttery, Crunchy, Chocolatey Toffee. • A toast to mom: Hagafen Wine Club • Morning coffee or tea with a slice of My Grandma’s of New England's coffee cake • Pamper her with 100% natural body care products from Savannah Bee Company • Artisan Popcorn, handmade Chocolate Covered Pretzels or, our favorite, Bodacious Bites from Angelic Gourmet • Recipes at the touch of her iPhone or iPad Touch – Kosher Cookbook App • A helper in the kitchen with the Cuisinart 14-Cup Food Processor • Support Israel's largest charitable food rescue organization, Leket Israel, and toast mom - join the Leket Israel Wine Club.Add a comment
Carmello Gianino’s Oven Fried Tilapia
Adapted from a recipe provided by a KosherEye Foodie Friend and avid Italian home chef.
1/3 lb. Tilapia per person
2 cups of plain bread crumbs
4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup flat Italian parsley, washed, dried and finely chopped
1/2 cup of grated Italian Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 or 3 shakes of black pepper
Blend spice mix in bowl with whisk or fork.* “Bathe” both sides of Tilapia in extra virgin olive oil. Place on sprayed cookie sheet and bake in preheated 450 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
*Tip: Leftover ready spice mix may be stored in refrigerator for another use
To easily chop spices we recommend the Microplane Herb Mill.
Add a comment
Flourless Almond Torte
KosherEye Friend Rachelle D. Ferneau, Pastry Chef/Owner, Eden Cake, is once again sharing her fabulous cake creations with KosherEye. Perfect for Passover, her Upside-Down Almond Torte recipe is totally flourless and divine!Add a comment
Passover Vegetable Matzo Lasagna
This fabulous recipe for Passover Vegetable Matzo Lasagna was requested by a KosherEye reader. She had seen it on Jewish Television Network's New Jewish Cuisine with Jeff Nathan & Friends. We contacted our KosherEye Friend, Alison Nathan and received the following response: "We're always happy to share!" Enjoy - this recipe is a winner!Add a comment
New Kosher Cooking Magazine
A wonderful new magazine, Bitayavon, was just introduced in February and features "MODERN AND TRADITIONAL RECIPES FOR THE KOSHER COOK".
There was a time when the kosher cook only dreamed of such publications, but now it is a reality. Bitayavon, is an exciting, high end kosher cooking magazine – created by kosher foodies who combined their knowledge and passion for cooking to create a magazine to which they would want to subscribe.
Published every two months, it will "introduce readers to new ingredients, new ways of cooking and present traditional recipes in an eye opening way." The feature articles include Eating in Season, Kitchen Disasters, People on the Street, Cooking Competitions, Family Dinners and much more. The goal of Bitayavon magazine is "to satisfy the ever growing palate of the kosher cook in a unique, revolutionary way."
Bitayavon magazine shared two fabulous recipes with KosherEye:
• Seared Tuna with Pineapple Salsa and Balsamic Reduction – perfect for Passover and year round.
• Basil Pea Risotto – an Italian classic that is perfect after Passover, when you want to have a delicious rice dish.
Bitayavon magazine is available in supermarkets and newsstands throughout the USA and Canada. To learn more about them, or to subscribe, please visit Bitayavon.com.Add a comment