What a difference a sharp edge and the correct size cutting implements make in kitchen efficiency. We have written about WÜSTHOF Poultry and Kitchen Shears. . . and now we are taking a SHARP turn and are on to knives. After 20 years of using mostly the same meat knives, all stored in the same knife block, we knew that it was time to upgrade. Yes, as in most kosher kitchens, we have three sets of knives. In ours we have a colorful up-to-date dairy set (How we love our Kai Komachi); odds and ends for Passover; but confession here. . . our meat knife set is antique.
If you are thinking of purchasing a whole new set of knives, we suggest the 7-piece classic WÜSTHOF knife set for consideration. So handy! A knife for every kitchen task. We like the grip, the weight and the ease. We have been testing the 7-piece classic set, and it has made quite a difference in our prep, chopping and slicing time. An amazing difference!
7 Piece Classic Knife Set
When you treat yourself to new cooking tools, it's like a personal "kitchen shower". Yes, changing all of your knives at once, is an investment, but it will save you time, and if cared for can be a money saver in the long term.
We learned that the WÜSTHOF classic knife set has specially formulated high-carbon stain-free steel blades that hold a sharp edge. And the triple-riveted polyoxymethylene handles ensure a comfortable and steady grip. Each knife is precision forged from a single piece of sturdy high-carbon stain-free steel that resists stains and corrosion. Classic WÜSTHOF is formulated to last for years! And, by the way kitchen shears are included in this set, as is a sharpening, honing steel. We like that!
• WÜSTHOF 's Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention..
• Full tangs are triple riveted to the handles for exceptional durability and control.
• Durable polymer handles are contoured for a comfortable grip.
• High-carbon stain-free steel blades
• Hardwood block safely stores 13 items and is gentle on knives' edges.
• Includes: 3 1/2" paring knife, 6" utility knife, 8" chef's knife, 8" bread knife, 9" honing steel, Stainless-steel pull-apart shears, 13-slot hardwood storage block
Single Classic 8" Cook's Knife from WÜSTHOF - Awarded to Honorees at KosherFEAST16
This 8" knife was selected as the honoree gift at KosherFEAST16, the annual kosher media dinner. If you want to treat yourself (or a lucky cooking pal) to an exceptional cutting tool, we suggest this CLASSIC 8" knife, a chef's kitchen favorite for generations. The CLASSIC 8" cook’s knife is an all purpose kitchen knife, a workhorse to be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing. Due to the weight and balance of the knife, it is also perfect for heavy duty cutting of thicker vegetables and meats. A must have!
- Precision-forged from a single blank of high carbon stainless steel
- Full tang that is triple riveted to the handle for precise control
- Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention.
- Comfortable and highly-durable polyoxymethylene (POM) handle with a traditional look and feel, stickered with our red Trident logo
- Full bolster and finger guard
All WÜSTHOF knives are crafted in Solingen, Germany and are fully guaranteed against defects in craftsmanship. They are sold in specialty and department stores in 90 countries around the world. The U.S. subsidiary, WÜSTHOF-TRIDENT OF AMERICA, INC. is located in Norwalk, Connecticut.
5 Rules for Knife Safety:
1 – Full Attention to the Blade! When working with a knife, give the job and knife 100% of your attention. Don't allow distractions! Eyes on the knife and the food!
2 – Sharp Knives are Safe Knives Always keep your knives sharp — dull knives require more force to cut and are more likely to slip. (OUCH!)
3 – Anatomy Off Limits! Don't check the sharpness of a knife with any of your body parts.
4 – Cut Away, Never Toward Always cut away from yourself whether using, sharpening or cleaning your knives.
5- ABSOLUTELY No, No, No multi-tasking when using a knife
Buy the WÜSTHOF Knives including the 7 Piece Classic Knife set, or the Wusthof 8" Classic Cook's knife #4582/20cm,
and other Wusthof knives here: Wusthof knives.