KosherEye Featured Product
KosherEye Featured Product
Irene’s Bakery and Gourmet Kitchen
Tastes like Homemade!
Yes these taste like they were homemade! That is about the best compliment a food – especially a baked good can be given. The pastries from Irene's tastes just like we made them ourselves, with a lot less work.
Irene's Bakery used to be a "Mom and Pop" shop - serving Jewish style foods to local deli and convenience stores in Pennsylvania. In 2002, Irene's Bakery was bought by a young couple, Irina and Daniel Zelikovich, who expanded the business and re-invented the company. Its reach is now nationwide. Irene's is an all-natural food manufacturer, serving food retailers like Whole Foods Market, Wegmans, King's, Shop Rite's and local supermarkets such as Acme and Giant. All of Irene's baked goods are kosher certified Star K (parve), or Star D (dairy).
The pastries are based on traditional heirloom Jewish bakery recipes, but are made with organic unbleached flours, and sweetened with organic evaporated cane Juice. There are no food additives, colors, hydrogenated oils, or food preservatives in Irene's products. In addition to baked goods, the company sells blintzes, knishes, vegetable puffs and more, but we will cover those another time.
Some of our favorites from Irene's Bakery:
Biscotti We found these at our local Whole Foods Market
20 calories each – Most are fat and sodium free. What a calorie bargain and you would never know it by tasting. These are crunchy, just sweet enough and perfect with morning coffee. They are available in several delicious flavors including Pistachio Vanilla, Raisin Almond, Cranberry, Chocolate Almond, Coffee Amaretto. Star K Parve
So which were our favorites? We especially enjoyed the Pistachio Vanilla and Cranberry, but our other tasters had different favorites. All were enjoyed.
Apricot and Raspberry tarts – resembles our favorite linzer cookies. They are rich, buttery cookies topped with sweet apricot or raspberry jam. Superb in taste and crumb. Irene's also makes apricot and raspberry "puffs" that are very similar to the tarts, but with a different crust. Yumm. Star D Dairy
Rugelach – So luscious, we could hardly stop ourselves from eating the entire package. These taste like the ones from our kitchen, but Irene's bakes more flavors than we do -- and buying Irene's rugelach certainly offers a sweet convenience for the busy cook. Walnut Raisin, Raspberry, Chocolate and Cinnamon. Our favorite? Couldn't choose one- we liked them all. Star D Dairy
Visit Irene's to learn more about their products at Irenesbakery.comAdd a comment
Take the Dairy Out; Leave the Delicious In
We at KosherEye often make our own cookies – particularly when we need parve (dairy free) cookies. Yes, there are some excellent dairy cookies available at the supermarket, but parve is another story. And then came Nomoo-dairy free.
This is a new brand, headquartered in Bucks County, Pennsylvania and OU certified. When the cookies arrived at our door, we did not know what to expect, and were wowed by the beautiful box and wrap. We checked the ingredients and were pleasantly surprised with the lack of additives – no preservatives, chemicals, transfats or artificial flavors or colors. Best of all Nomoo seems to use many of the same ingredients that we do – including King Arthur Flour and Earth Balance margarine. Impressive! And, yes we found them quite delicious. Our favorites: Oat-Rageous, Choco-Lift and of course, The Big Chipper. We ate most of them, and then, were able to freeze the rest. Works perfectly!
This is a sweet gift for your Yom Tov host or just to treat yourself. At the Nomoo website you will find a variety cookie combinations at $19.95 a dozen, plus shipping. If you really want to have some cookie fun, you can join the monthly, quarterly or yearly Nomoo cookie club.
Mention "pickles" and everyone has an opinion on their favorite type. There are dill, kosher dill, sour, half sour, sweet, bread and butter...and there are Wickles Pickles!
The pickle itself has a long and interesting history. Did you know that the Ancient Mesopotamians were thought to have made the first pickle in 2400 B.C....and Cleopatra claimed pickles made her beautiful. We have to thank Christopher Columbus for bringing the pickle to the New World. An interesting pickle fact: The Department of Agriculture estimates that the average American eats more than 8.5 pounds of pickles a year. We highly recommend Wickles Pickles be part of your 8.5 pounds!
Wickles has introduced two new products recently- and they are hot!
Wickles Wicked Pickle Chips
Sandwich and snack chips
Delicious for those who love a little bite in their pickles
Wickles describes: A little bit sweet and a little bit spicy—fresh chips to go with everything nicely
Wickles Wicked Jalapeño Slices
Taco night on another level
Love this gently spiced up a notch jalapeno pepper/pickle mix
• OU Kosher
• No high fructose corn syrup
Want to know more about Wickles - read our spotlight article on Wickles Pickles. We've been Wickles fans for years!
The Wickles line of products is carried in grocery stores across the U.S. and here: Wickles PicklesAdd a comment
Amoretti Premium Pomegranate
Blended with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Infused with the Natural Flavor & Aroma of Kalamata Olives
Founded in 1989 by CEO Jack Barsoumian, Amoretti® is based in Oxnard, California (USA). A family business of Armenian heritage, its marketing president is Jack's wife Maral, and its manufacturing president is his brother Ara. Amoretti® is constantly expanding, and now offers nearly 2,000 pastry, savory, and beverage Ingredients .
Amoretti premium pomegranate balsamic vinaigrette is a rich and aged vinaigrette, made with premium organic extra virgin olive oil, and infused with the flavor and aroma of kalamata olives, then balanced with aged pomegranate. The taste is sweet and tangy. It is lovely for drizzling, dipping, or finishing a favorite dish. Use it to dress vegetables and salads, or to marinate meats, poultry or fish (we like it on salmon). By the way, this balsamic vinaigrette is one of the few kosher balsamic vinaigrettes on the market. http://www.amoretti.com
• Kosher, Natural, Gluten Free, Vegan
• Preservative and GMO free, Sodium Free
• 500 ml Bottle
• Ingredients: Organic Tunisian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pomegranate Juice Concentrate, Organic Vinegar, Natural Flavor
• Kashrut: Kehilla Kosher
To purchase, click here: Amoretti Premium Pomegranate Balsamic VinaigretteAdd a comment
Here's the Rub:
Char Crust® Dry-Rub Seasonings
In 1957 Nathan Silver began experimenting with dry-rub seasonings and crusting techniques at his legendary Chicago restaurant, Al Farber's. Now almost 57 years later, his family's seasonings known as Char Crust® are famous for their signature rub Char Crust® . The rubs are popular in both restaurant and home kitchens throughout the USA and Canada.All 10 Char Crust® flavors are certified kosher by the CRC, and are used to enhance dishes such as beef, poultry, fish and more. They are easy to use-- Simply dredge and rub the blends onto the surface of uncooked meat or fish, then broil, bake, grill, pan-sear, or roast.
- Original Hickory Grilled is the original restaurant secret from Al Farber's in Chicago. It is a blend of 14 herbs, spices and other natural ingredients that create a delicious charred crust, especially on steaks and meaty fish such as tuna and salmon.
- Roasted Garlic Peppercorn features the robust flavor of roasted garlic and onions with the zing of peppercorns and a hint of Worcestershire and lavender. Very versatile.
- Ginger Teriyaki is a balance of sweet teriyaki, fragrant ginger, plus a tingly touch of wasabi that lends a new dimension and creates a modern teriyaki interpretation. It complements chicken, fish, and steak.
- Hickory & Molasses creates a crust with a hint of dark, earthy molasses. It received recognition as one of the "Top-Ten Dry Rubs & Seasonings" from the National Barbecue Association.
- Smoky Spicy Southwest- zesty blend of smoky ancho and chipotle chili peppers, mixed with cilantro and other southwest spices. This rub placed third among 200 entries in the National Barbecue Association contest.
- Amazin' Cajun is a spicy-sweet blend of cayenne pepper, onion, garlic, oregano and other "Mardi Gras" flavors.
- All American Barbecue takes the best flavors of American barbecue and blends them into a tangy-sweet, slightly spicy rub.
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Garlic is a mix of sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, rosemary, and just a hint of lemon, which complement Italian dishes, particularly veal and mild fish
- Roto Roast creates a golden brown, seasoned crust on roasts and rotisserie-cooked items, such as prime rib and poultry.
- Java Buzz™ blends the traditional flavors of Mexican molé, accented with premium roast coffee. Livens up the rich flavors of lamb and beef