Purim is a festive holiday that celebrates the deliverance of the Jews from their enemies. Of course, it includes eating and drinking. Let's face it, we Jews have wonderful food traditions for every holiday. On Purim it is customary to give Mishloach Manot – baskets filled with food and drink. It is also customary to have a festive meal, called the Purim se'udah (meal), complete with delicious foods, friends, fun and alcohol.
Just as there are MANY different fillings for hamantashen, there are many spellings for the word. So whether it is hamantaschen, hamantashen, hamentashen, or homontashen – it is all delicious and part of the Purim tradition.
Just in time for Purim planning, we present some of our Purim favorites...recipes, drinks & videos...
Hamantaschen, Hamantashen, Hamentashen, or Homontashen:
From Pastry Chef Rachelle D. Ferneau, her recipe for Hamantaschen with "Easy as Pie" Fillings – apple pie or pecan filling. They are featured in her article of the same name.
From Buzzfeed -- 32 sweet and savory hamantashen recipes
Chef and cookbook author Laura Frankel shares several of her favorite hamantaschen recipes:
• Hamantaschen with Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
• Hamantaschen with Rosewater and Almond Filling
Cookbook author Pam Reiss shares one of her favorites:
• Almond Hamantashen with Apricot Amaretto Filling
Bake up some of these goodies for noshing and for Purim Baskets. A nice change of pace if you want to make something sweet- instead of Hamantashen.
Eileen Goltz, enjoy some of her featured Purim desserts:
• Lemon Bars
• Cherry White Chocolate Scones
• Super Easy Banana Blueberry Pie
• Almond Apricot Cheesecake
Let's Taste & Toast
• Amaretto Pound Cake
• Rum Cake
• Black Russian Cake
• Tiramisu Trifle
• Walders Vanilla Vodka Cake
• Mordechai’s Mitzvah-Tini Martini
• The Queen's Royal Martini
• Heering Latte
• Prosecco, Rosemary and Fizz
• Drunken Donuts Cocktail
• How to Shape Hamantashen with Tina Wasserman
• How to Make Homentashen – in Yiddish with English Subtitles
• The Maccabeats – Purim Song